This course aims to help develop your knowledge, understanding, and competence in a variety of different IT areas. This course is ideal for those who work with IT within their current job role, and for those who are familiar with using a computer and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). In order, to complete this course you will need access to a computer and a basic level of IT knowledge. It may also be favourable to have some level of confidence in producing your own documents in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel (as you will need to do this as part of your assessment).
This course will encourage you to think about how IT can be used in a number of different ways, as you are introduced to specific tools that will assist you in utilising IT in everyday life. You will consider the best software and tools available for specific tasks and will do this with the view of improving both your productivity and efficiency. You will also learn about the importance of IT security; from email spam, to firewalls and computer viruses. And as you make progress through the course you will look in detail at presentation and spreadsheet software and will be assessed on your understanding and use of these.
Please note: Competency elements will be assessed by viewing datafiles or screenshots of completed work. You will need access to a computer and the Microsoft Office suite in order to complete the course.
Course Length: On average, this course is completed within 5 – 10 weeks. But the more time you dedicate, the sooner you can complete it. The pace of the learning is up to you.
Free Course for: Anyone aged 19 or over who has been living in the European Union for the last 3 years
Certified Awarding Body: TQUK
Exclusive for FastTrack Learners
Premium employment support
We'll tap into our strong employer network to source relevant job opportunities. Plus, get one-to-one assistance to power up your CV, job application and interview preparations!
Achieve your qualification after only two to four weeks of full-time learning thats shaped around your schedule.
Free Lifetime Use of Our Career Direction App
See how your transferable skills, interests, and experience can open up doors to brand new career opportunities you'd never considered before!
Are you eligible to complete this qualification for free?
This qualification is 100% government funded if:
- On the 31st of August 2019, you were aged 19 or over
- You currently live in England. (However, anyone living in the following areas is not eligible for funding: Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, Greater Manchester, Liverpool City Region, Tees Valley, West Midlands, and the West of England.)
- You have lived in the European Union for the last 3 years (unless you have have been given a special Visa/Residence permits that gives you the permanent right to remain)
- Are Unemployed in receipt of benefit or Employed and can provide evidence (Subject to eligibility)
- Can provide Identifications and relevant documentation as required
- If on the 31st of August 2019, you were aged between 19-23, you need to have gained a full level 2 qualification (e.g. five or more GCSE/O-Levels at grades A* – C / 4 – 9, one A-Level, two/three AS-Levels, five or more CSE grade 1’s, GNVQ Intermediate, QCF Diploma Level 2).
How home-based learning works
After an initial digital assessment, you will receive access to the digital course, which is full of engaging and comprehensive content such as videos, quizzes, and more. You will be paired with a qualified assessor who will provide you with ongoing, friendly support. You'll then complete an online assessment in order to receive your qualification.
1. Using IT to increase productivity
- Section 1: Be able to plan and select which IT tools and systems are best suited to completion of an identified task
- Section 2: Be able to identify any restrictions or constraints that may affect how a task can be completed using IT tools and systems
- Section 3: Be able to use IT tools and systems to complete an identified task
- Section 4: Be able to review approach to using IT tools and systems
- Section 5: Be able to adapt their approach as a result of their experiences using IT tools and systems to complete a task.
2. IT software fundamentals
- Section 1: Select and use appropriate software applications to meet needs and solve problems
- Section 2: Enter, develop, combine and format different types of information to suit its meaning and purpose
- Section 3: Present information in ways that are fit for purpose and audience
- Section 4: Evaluate the selection and use of IT tools and facilities to present information.
3. IT security for users
- Section 1: Use appropriate methods to minimise security risks to IT systems and data.
4. Presentation software
- Section 1: Input and combine text and other information within presentation slides
- Section 2: Use presentation software tools to structure, edit and format slide sequences
- Section 3: Prepare slideshow for presentation.
5. Spreadsheet software
- Section 1: Use a spreadsheet to enter, edit and organise numerical and other data
- Section 2: Select and use appropriate formulas and data analysis tools to meet requirements
- Section 3: Select and use tools and techniques to present and format spreadsheet information.
- Level 2 Certificate in IT User Skills
Frequently Asked Questions
Where and when do courses take place?
Our Home Learning courses take place from the comfort of your home! You can be enrolled on our courses whenever you are ready, and start when you’re ready.
Can I work at my own pace and my own time?
Yes, the main advantage of doing our Home Learning course is that allows you to be flexible to choose the times that suits you to learn. Each course will have a recommended date to complete, with plenty of time to work through the units to gain the qualification.
We are adding the ability to enroll yourself very soon, but in the meantime, please fill out the form on this page - and someone from the team will get in touch with you within a day.
Do I have to attend your training centre?
No, you don’t need to attend our training center for any of our Home Learning courses. (Note that under normal circumstances we deliver various classroom-based courses from our training centers in Croydon, Harrow and Tottenham - learn more at https://strivetraining.co.uk/classroom-based-courses/)
How many courses can I take?
You can enroll on one course at a time, but you can do as many as you like to achieve your career goals. We are happy to give you information, advice and guidance on any courses you wish to complete.
I’m not great with technology - will I be able to learn online?
We continually try to make learning simple and transparent. Learning through our online platform is incredibly easy and you can navigate around your qualification quickly and access all the learning materials as soon as you login.
Your studying should be about what you learn, not how you learn it. Which is why we make the entire process as simple as possible to help you adjust to learning online.
Get in touch with us via the form on this page, and one of the team will get back to straight away to book your initial online or phone-based assessment. After all, we need to make sure you qualify for the free accredited course. But don't worry - it's a quick and straight-forward process that we'll personally walk you through!