We’re collaborating with two of the UK’s best hospitality employers. This two-week, home-based course will prepare you with the specific skills that they’re looking for in new recruits, and each graduate will receive a guaranteed interview with Sodexo or Electric Mayonnaise!
You’ll hear directly from their respective recruiting teams about their vacancies and gain exclusive insights. (For more information, click the ‘job details’ tab).
Plus, our specialist employment team is here to help you all the way through the job application process.
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Master the basics of food preparation and cooking and prepare simple dishes
- Create a positive experience for customers in the hospitality industry
- Explore different career paths within the hospitality industry
- Understand how establishments differ within the hospitality and catering industry and what makes them unique
- Maintain a safe and healthy workplace and correctly follow safety and security procedures
Course Starting Dates: We are currently working on our schedule for the 2023/24 academic year, which starts August 2023. You are welcome to register for the next course now in order to tentatively secure a spot. However, upcoming updated eligibility criteria may require that you will need to then fill out an additional registration form closer to the course start date.
Course starting dates: December 4th
Free course for: Anyone who is unemployed and aged 19 or over who has been living in the European Union for the last 3 years
Qualification: You will receive a Level 1 Certificate in Occupational Workplace Studies (Hospitality).
Certified Awarding Body: NCFE
How Home Learning works: Your daily Zoom session, with our experienced and dynamic tutor, runs from 9:30am to 4:30pm (with a one hour lunch break).
Plus we’ll provide post-course employment assistance: get access to specially sourced job opportunities, and 1-to-1 advice on career direction, CVs, job applications, and more!
Are you eligible to complete this qualification for free?
This qualification is 100% government funded if:
- You were born before the 31st August 2004
- You must currently live in England. However, anyone living in the following areas is not eligible for funding: Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, Greater Manchester, Liverpool City Region, Tees Valley, West Midlands and West of England
- Must live in the UK or EEA:
- If you are outside of London: You have lived in the EEA for the last 3 years (unless you have have been given a special Visa/Residence permits that gives you the permanent right to remain)
- If you are within Greater London: You must have permission to reside in the UK for the next 12 months
- Are unemployed:
- If you are outside of London: Can provide evidence of being in receipt of benefits (subject to eligibility)
- If you are within Greater London: There is no need to be in receipt of benefits. However, you must be actively seeking work and available to start work (subject to eligibility)
- Can provide Identifications and relevant documentation as required
- For Level 2 courses: If on the 31st of August 2022, you were aged between 19-23, you need to have gained a full level 2 qualification (e.g. five or more GCSE/O-Levels at grades A* – C / 4 – 9, one A-Level, two/three AS-Levels, five or more CSE grade 1’s, GNVQ Intermediate, QCF Diploma Level 2)
Sodexo have the following vacancies:
- Colchester: Waiting Staff, Chefs, Kitchen Porters and Food Service Assistants – Colchester Garrison
- London: Waiting Staff, Runners, Bar Staff, Baristas, Food Service Assistants, Chefs All Levels, Cellar and Kitchen Porters, Supervisory and Management Roles, Apprenticeships and Further Training Opportunities, Events Staff – The Wallace (Manchester Square W1), RAF Hendon (NW9), The Royal Academy of Arts (Piccadilly) , Chelsea Flower Show (SW3), Bateaux London (Victoria Embankment, WC2N) The Athenaeum (Mayfair)
- Berkshire – Events Staff of all levels and experiences – Ascot Racecourse and Henley Regatta
- Brighton – Various hospitality and events staff – Brighton and Hove Albion American Express Community Stadium
- Kent – Events Staff all levels and experiences – The Spitfire Ground (Canterbury)
- Sussex – Events Staff all levels and experiences – The 1st Central County Ground (Hove)
- Wigan – Various hospitality and events staff – DW Stadium
- Doncaster – Various hospitality and events staff – ECO Power Stadium
- Blackburn – Various hospitality and events staff – Blackburn Rovers Football Club
- Lancashire – Waiting Staff, Runners, Bar Staff, Baristas, Food Service Assistants, Chefs All Levels, Cellar and Kitchen Porters, Supervisory and Management Roles, Apprenticeships and Further Training Opportunities, Events Staff –Royal Lytham and St Annes Golf Club
- Leeds – Various hospitality and events staff – Headingley Stadium
- Liverpool – Various hospitality and events staff – Goodison Park (Everton Football Stadium, L4), Arena and Conference
- Newcastle – Various hospitality and events staff – St James Park Stadium
- Hampshire – ATR Winchester, Worthy Down, Andover, Middle Wallop, RAF Odiham
- Newbury – Various hospitality staff – Denison Barracks
- Wallingford – Various hospitality staff – RAF Benson
- High Wycombe – Various hospitality staff – RAF base
- Aylesbury – Various hospitality staff – RAF Halton
- Bicester – Various hospitality staff – St George’s and St David’s Barracks
- Abingdon – Various hospitality staff – Dalton Barracks
- Didcot – Various hospitality staff – Vauxhall Barracks
- Oxfordshire – Various hospitality staff – RAF Brize Norton
Electric Mayonnaise have the following vacancies:
Runner – You keep things running (pun intended!) by making sure the team have everything to provide that memorable guest experience – from bringing out food, to clearing up tables, getting them set up for the next guests and occasionally taking orders.
Barback – Cocktail bars have many products and bits of equipment that all need to be in the right place at the right time. You’ll be the person making sure the bar runs smoothly, ensuring they have the correct spirits and mixers, wines, ice, glasses and shakers, whilst you continue learning professional bartending skills and mixology.
Commis Chef – A foot in the door in the world of world class kitchens. Cooking with the best, freshest ingredients in a structured professional kitchen. As a commis chef there are unlimited learning opportunities and you’d be expected to learn something new every day. You’d be working side-by-side with an experienced chef assisting in prep and cooking to order.
Reception Host – The face of the business. You’ll be an outgoing and chatty person. Working in a team you’ll be taking booking and allocating tables. Welcoming new guests and making sure they are comfortable, and remembering previous guests and their preferences.
About the Company
Electric Mayonnaise provides an opportunity to gain and develop skills within Hospitality by providing their employees with training opportunities before sending them to work with clients across London-based establishments such as restaurants and hotels.
- Competitive salary up to £14.50 per hour
- A social job, meeting lots of different people and doing different things each day
- Great work life balance with contracted hours between 20 hours and 40 hours per week.
- Training to get you settled into your role, learning academies to broaden your skillset and development that helps you think, make and thrive at work
- Continued learning from the best in the industry to keep your career moving forwards – Lots of opportunity to progress as part of a global company
- 28 days holidays (inclusive of bank holidays), pension, and life insurance.
- A health cash plan to claim money back and get access to lots of ways to support your physical & mental wellbeing
- It’s ok not to be Ok, we have a confidential hotline for any support you require about anything and a network of mental health first aiders
- Treat yourself once in a while with lots of retail & hospitality perks through our partners
- Goes without saying, but we’ll feed you during your shift
- Excellent discounts across each company for you and your nearest and dearest
- Extra time off to volunteer with one of our partner charities
- Regular team get togethers, from our team drinks to our (pretty special!) bi-annual parties – we know how to have a good time!
- Enhanced family leave for when you’re expanding your family
- An annual diversity and inclusion calendar of events creating opportunities for you to learn, celebrate and make a positive impact.